Monday, July 11, 2011

On the Present...

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this."

Henry David Thoreau

Since leaving California, I have entered a new state of mind. It seems for quite a while up until this point I have been working hard to be somewhere that I am not, and was constantly focusing on the future. Perhaps the simplicity of my situation; living where I work, having all the necessities, and really only having one job has put me at ease. I am incredibly content with my circumstances as they have pushed me to operate in the present. Before I had to constantly write everything down I needed to do just to keep it in my sights, and now I don’t even have nor need a list. The satisfaction of accomplishing a dream and arriving in that place I have worked so hard for is immense. I am still in utter disbelief in the beauty of Moorea and that this is my reality. That’s why I want so badly to take it slowly and savor each moment for what it is.

Today was my first field day and we started to install the coral markers. I am still learning the proper technique, but I was so happy to be out on a boat and underwater again. Looking back at Moorea from offshore made me feel a mixture of peace and excitement that only could be expressed as a big goofy smile on my face. I’m working hard but life is good.






No comments:

Post a Comment