Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Arrived to Moorea!

Today we caught the ferry to Moorea. The high jagged mountains contrasted with the turquoise blue water was breathtaking. The peace and simplicity of this island is astounding. I could hardly believe my eyes as I looked around. The research station is located in the most beautiful location and I still can’t tell if this is a dream or not. One thing that is interesting to me is how I keep quickly switching between French and English. My method now is just to respond in whichever language the previous sentence spoken to me was, even if we are both bilingual. I’ve only before experienced just one or the other and rarely ever both. It takes some getting used to. Today I got established in my room and helped Hunter unpack the gear among other things. It’s really hot here, but the setting couldn’t be more perfect. Tonight they are having a barbeque to celebrate the Fourth of July for us Americans. This is the second year in a row I have had an “unconventional” independence celebration as last year I was in Kaluapapa watching shooting stars instead of blowing up fireworks. Tomorrow it looks like I will be sorting the tags I will be attaching to coral recruits, but I still can’t wait to get into this crystal clear blue water!


1 comment: