Friday, July 15, 2011

Exploring Moorea








Today I got to explore Moorea! First we went to Belvedere, an excellent lookout where you can see both Cook’s Bay and Opunohu Bay at the same time. Then, we went to a little stand run by some of Olivette’s family that is up a steep driveway and has fruit trees growing all around it. From the top there is an incredible view down to the crystal clear blue water. Each Friday for lunch they make a special plate of several different Tahitian foods for a good price. It was absolutely delicious! Also, it was served with fresh squeezed pineapple and papaya juice. After the meal I had Tiare flower flavored ice cream and it was also amazing. They also had a small gift shop behind it where Rea learned how to play the nose flute. Then I went to get a pareau, or Tahitian sarong because they are beautiful and so comfortable to wear here. When we got back to the station, I helped string a lei of Tiare flowers for Olivette’s sister who was going to a wedding tonight and she let me keep the extra flowers to make my own! Then I had dinner with Hunters family and we ate different dishes of poisson cru, or raw fish that had been caught by someone at the station the just night before. I have never tasted fish so fresh! After that I went to a fancy hotel with the other students for drinks and attempted to salsa dance. To finish the night we walked out on the docks for the overwater bungalows and watched brightly colored fish swim around in the water that had been lit up. It was magical. Overall today has been an exciting day in which I could absorb some of the Polynesian culture. The entire time I was thinking how much I love this island, and how glad I am that I learned French so I can interact with people here. I truly feel blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a great time. Am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Acien Marin

    Sadly, it appears my pc is blocking my ability to respond to your blog. The boss, didicon, seems to have no problem. I must work on correcting that problem. I am enthralled by the Tahitian beauty with blonde hair. Your opportunity to be part of the Tahitian scene must be so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je l'ai fait!

    Now if I can only replicate the action for future comments. I hope, as this is Sunday, you are given a day of rest. What I have learned thusfar from your blog is quite a remarkable picture of Brie in Paradise. I look forward to learning, if it occurs, how you managed a Sunday. Perhaps a busman's holiday on the itinerary since you have yet to photograph the marine life.

    Regards, Ancien Marin

    ReplyDelete